Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Dell XPS 15 7590 with Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 looses connection or cannot connect and disturbes surrounding WiFi / WLAN

I am facing WiFi issues with my Dell XPS 15 7590 and the Killer Wireless 1650 WiFi card. Installing latest Windows 10 and Dell Updates, replacing Dell WiFi Drivers by Killer Drivers (Aug 2nd) did not fix the problems.
On some WiFi I only can connect, if I disable ac/ax in the card driver properties or set the 2.4 GHz to 802.11b or  802.11g (Otherwise Windows keeps prompting for WPA key, even if it is correct).  On others the connection frequently drops for 1-2 seconds and then reconnects, even if I am just browsing (no heavy load on the card).
How-I-fixed-it:
Found the solution in the Dell community forum:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-7590-disconnecting-Wifi/td-p/7365191 


Found out that Killer AX1650 is based on the Intel AX200NGW:
I downloaded the Intel drivers for the AX200:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29003/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=189347

I downloaded the driver removal software from Killer:
http://support.killernetworking.com/software/

I uninstalled the Killer drivers and rebooted my computer.
Then I installed the Intel drivers.

In the Device Manager it then looks like this:




3 comments:

  1. hi, after a long run is the connection stable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    How has this solution been? Did the problem return after some time or still fixed to this day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a problem with the same WiFi card on the Predator Helios 300 (2019 version) where the WiFi randomly disconnects, and doesn't allow me to re-connect for ~30 secs.

    This fixed it for me, used to have a few drops per day, it's working fine for about a week now.

    ReplyDelete